Hey there! :)

Dear Moderator,

Welcome to my AS media blog! I've created a rock music magazine cover, contents page and double page spread and this is my blog to show you the finished magazine as well as all the research and planning I put into making my magazine and the evaluation I did after I completed my magazine. I hope you find it all interesting! :)

Below are links to my research and planning, completed magazine and evaluation questions.

Research and Planning: http://beckymckenziemedia.blogspot.co.uk/2011/09/research-and-planning-cd-cover-as-media.html
Completed Magazine: http://beckymckenziemedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/completed-music-magazine.html
Evaluation Questions: http://beckymckenziemedia.blogspot.co.uk/2012/03/evaluation-question-1.html

Thursday 6 October 2011

Research and Planning -music magazine analysis 2


This is my second rock music magazine analysis and I'm starting to spot similarities between the rock music magazines I have been looking at and analysing. I have noticed that black, red and white appear to be commonly used colours on rock magazine covers. In the previous analysis I noted the reasons I believed red, black and white were used on rock magazine covers and why they were so effective on that particular magazine and those reasons and the effectiveness also apply to this magazine cover which shares the same colour scheme with the addition of the colour gold. The gold is a nice touch to this magazine as it makes the band who are being advertised seem important and valuable, like the metal gold its self, which could catch the reader's eye and influence them to buy the magazine.

On this particular magazine I can straight away tell it is a rock magazine by the image used and the title of the band in large gold letters, as Queen are legends of rock and would be typically featured in a rock genre magazine. Unlike other magazines I have viewed, this 'Q' magazine's masthead is not the biggest font on the page, which is unusual, but as equally effective as having the masthead the largest font on the page, as the band name commands attention and catches the reader's eye; the promotion of that particular band could lead to the magazine being a successful seller.

I believe the target audience for this magazine is any rock fan, as the colour scheme is not gender specific and the image/band being advertised appeal to both male and female rock fans of any age, for example: My Dad is in his 50s and loves Queen and I am in my teens and also love Queen, showing this magazine appeals to both genders and all ages.

I really like the simplicity of this magazine, as it is not over crowded with articles or colourful images, it is simple, spacious, well organized and for those reasons it really stands out and becomes appealing to the target audience, or anyone in general.

This magazine has definitely made me realise that less is sometimes more and that a simplistic design is more eye catching and appealing than a busy one. It has also confirmed by belief that red, white and black colours are perfect for a rock music magazine and those are the colours I am going to use on my own rock magazine.

No comments:

Post a Comment